Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Mobile, many of us make adjustments to be sure our home’s temperature keeps us cozy. This can have a big impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Check weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your house warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be switched out. We suggest at least once every three months, but every household is different, so that can vary.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – It may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home stays warm, but programmable thermostats can also help you reduce energy costs! You can arrange temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. Being more mindful of efficiency will help with heating costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to reduce the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs to have checkups, too. Hiring experts to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more pricey repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If it seems like your monthly heating costs are continually increasing—despite your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The professionals at Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc can help you review the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the selection of newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you are considering routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc in Mobile a call to start down the right path. Give us a shout at 251-471-2674 or book an appointment with us online.