Spring is in the air here in Mobile and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc team has some tips that will assist in keeping your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you go on a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a good idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re you’re on vacation letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to put it off until after you are back to post information about your trip. Family and friends most likely already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as delighted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not think of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no reason to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about protecting your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc in Mobile a call at 251-471-2674.