They say knowledge is power, and that’s undoubtedly accurate when discussing your air conditioner. While complex repairs are best left to experts, it’s helpful to have a practical understanding of your air conditioner and how to solve everyday AC issues.
Knowing how your AC works and the typical problems it faces will enable you to fix little problems without needing to call an HVAC specialist every time. This not only saves you cash on minor service calls, but understanding when to contact a professional can help prevent small issues from escalating into major repairs.
Your Air conditioning unit is an essential component of your home comfort. Because of that, you should always err on the side of caution and call a NATE-certified specialist for air conditioning repair in Mobile if you're unsure about any aspect of your AC's operation or maintenance.
Here are a few of the frequent questions people ask our experts about their air conditioners:
1. What Is the Best Way to Clean an Air Conditioner?
Cleaning your AC is a good way to make sure it operates efficiently, and possibly could extend the life of your unit.
The most significant action you can take on your own is to replace the air filter in your air conditioner. The filter catches dust, pollen, pet hair and other debris, and removes those particulates from the air circulating throughout your home. If your AC filter becomes clogged, the air conditioner has to work harder than it should in order to pull air through the filter. A clean filter traps the airborne debris while still allowing air to flow easily through the system.
Replacement filters are sold at most popular home improvement stores, hardware stores or can be bought from your local HVAC specialist. A good way to make sure you get the right filter is to look at your old one before you head out for the store, jotting down the size of the filter. If you’re not familiar with filters, it’s also helpful to note the filtration level of the current filter if you are wanting to buy something similar.
For thorough service of your air conditioner, contact the skilled professionals like the crew at Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc to do routine maintenance on your unit. They’ll look over your system, clean or lubricate parts that need cleaning and look for worn-out parts and potential trouble.
2. How Are the Coils on My Air Conditioner Cleaned?
In addition to making sure your indoor air conditioner equipment is working efficiently, it’s necessary to tend to your outdoor unit. Cleaning the coils on the outside unit of your air conditioner is a simple way to improve its efficiency and can extend the life of your entire system.
The coils, which are attached to extensions called fins, are used to release heat from the refrigerant into the cooler air outside. This cools the refrigerant, which then goes back in your home so it can absorb more heat from the air inside your home. Cleaning the fins and the coils can help them release heat more easily.
To clean your air conditioner’s fins and coil:
1) First, turn off power to the outdoor unit. It’s best to flip off the the on/off switch, rather than turning the thermostat off.
2) Remove the top of the outdoor AC so you can enter the inside of the unit. Then, taking care not to stress any cords or attachments, safely put the top to the side.
3) Spray a cleaning solution on the fins, beginning at the top and working down. Commercial coil cleaners are sold and commonly found in both the canned aerosol spray from as well as products foaming solutions that are applied with your garden hose.
4) Follow directions on the product to apply. For most brands, it's advised that you spray the product on, let the cleaner soak in for a brief period of time to dissolve the grime and then softly spray it off with a garden hose. Be cautious not to spray really hard, because that could harm the coils or fins!
5) Secure the top back on the unit and then wait for the components to dry before turning the unit back on.
3. How Long Can Air Conditioners Work?
The life span of an air conditioner can vary based on the type of unit, its quality, how often it's maintained and how often it's used. However, pros say you should start looking into air conditioner replacement after about 12-15 years.
One of the best ways to get maximum value from your HVAC is through regularly scheduled conditioner maintenance. Routine checkups from Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc consists of cleaning and inspecting the machinery, as well as putting in a new filter and fixing any worn-out or broken parts. To keep your unit operating a long time, reach out to us today to schedule air conditioning maintenance in Mobile.
4. What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
Choosing the correct sized air conditioner for your home is vital for maintaining comfort and efficiency. Here are some factors to take into account when deciding what size air conditioner to buy for your home:
- Square footage: The total area of the space you need to cool is one of the key factors. More expansive spaces demand more cooling power.
- Home insulation: Well-insulated homes hold cool air better, which can reduce your cooling needs.
- Climate: If you are living in a hotter climate, you'll need a more powerful air conditioner compared to a homeowner living in a cooler environment.
- Number of windows: Windows often let in heat, in particular when they're south-facing or not well-insulated.
- Number of people: More people in the house means more body heat, which could influence your cooling needs.
- Existing HVAC system: The size and performance of your current system can provide a jumping off point for determining what you need.
Given that the size of your AC is so critical to your home’s comfort, you will likely want a professional opinion. At Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc, we take the time to completely understand your family’s lifestyle, comfort needs and the many other variables such as your home’s layout and size. This attention to detail and focus on customer service is why Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc is known for exceptional air conditioning installation in Mobile.
5. How Much Does an Air Conditioner Cost?
While prices vary depending on the size of the unit and your home’s unique needs, a new AC generally costs between $5,000 and $12,500 to purchase and install. The good thing is that new air conditioners are developed to be exceptionally efficient, so they do more with less power when compared to older units.
The cost of an air conditioner is influenced by several factors during the manufacturing process, such as the cost and availability of raw materials, manufacturing and labor costs in addition to federal regulations that necessitate changes to the design.
Know these are average costs and prices can fluctuate. It's always helpful to get numerous quotes from trustworthy HVAC companies before making a choice. If you’re thinking about air conditioning replacement in Mobile, get in touch with Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. We can provide you with a complimentary estimate, explain the plan and help connect you with available rebates or discounts.
6. Why Is My Air Conditioner Freezing Up?
Air conditioning freezing up can be caused by many factors, all of which boil down to the failure of your system to efficiently transfer heat. If your AC is suffering from issues causing it to freeze up, it is most likely time for air conditioning repair.
Here are some common causes of AC freezing up:
- Inadequate airflow: If the air isn't flowing properly through your AC system, it can't adequately absorb heat. This could be due to a plugged air filter, obstructed return air ducts or a failing fan.
- Low refrigerant levels: If your air conditioner is getting low on refrigerant, it may get too cold and freeze up. This is usually because of leaks in the refrigerant lines.
- Frigid outdoor temperatures: Operating the air conditioner when it's too cold outside can cause the system to freeze. Many units aren't designed to work in temperatures of less than 60 degrees Fahrenheit (15 degrees Celsius).
- Mechanical failures: Broken thermostats, damaged blower motors and problems with the relay or control board can all play a role in an AC unit freezing up.
Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc is your Trusted Source for Air Conditioning Service in Mobile.
At Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc, we will make your home a comfortable and enjoyable place. Our experienced professionals are up-to-date on the latest industry training and trends, and work on on a wide variety of systems. That’s why community members make us their first call for air conditioning repair in Mobile and neighboring areas.
If you’re looking to upgrade or its time for a new unit, we’ve got you covered there too, with our first-class air conditioning installation in Mobile. No matter what, we can help you solve your cooling issues!
Contact Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc today at 251-471-2674 to schedule an appointment or complimentary estimate!