The shifting weather in Mobile can mean a number of things, from the changing seasons to flicking off the switch of your air conditioner for the chilly months. Of course, whole home comfort is your year-round goal, but sometimes our heating and cooling equipment doesn’t feel like doing that. That doesn’t mean that you’re predestined for AC repair though.
When your air conditioner stops working or you notice it operating weirdly, there are a few things you can check on before calling in the experts at Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc for AC repair. Here are a few troubleshooting tips to try before giving us a call.
1) Check your thermostat
This is one of the easiest checks that homeowners can do themselves, and might solve the problem more than they’d like to admit. Make sure your thermostat is:
- Set to “cool”
- Programmed to be around room temperature
- Working with a newer battery
2) Look at the air conditioner filter
Dirty filters can cause air conditioners to act weirdly, making them shut down without notice and without making a noise. Air conditioner filters have been the cause for a lot of AC repair calls in the past, but there’s no reason to pick up the phone when you can change it yourself. Not to mention that a dirty air conditioner filter lowers your system’s efficiency and reduces airflow.
3) Find and inspect your air conditioner’s switches
The majority of the time, switches to your air conditioner are found:
- Close to the air conditioner itself and normally look like your stereotypical light switch.
- At your circuit breaker panel. Find the breaker that controls your air conditioner and figure out if it is in the middle position or the Off position. If it is, cycle the breaker to Off and then flip it back to the On position.
4) Open all of your vents
A common mistake among homeowners is to close vents in unoccupied rooms, but this might actually lead to a need for AC repair. Closing these vents can potentially cause your system to be less efficient and shut down because of added airflow pressure.
If you’ve completed these four troubleshooting tips and still aren’t having any luck getting your system back operating, it’s probably time to give us a ring. The team at Farnell Heating & Air Conditioning Inc in Mobile are here to ensure all of your AC repair needs are met, so give us a call at 251-471-2674 to set up an appointment with us.